Need Recommendations for Evol. Bio. Programs

Dana Ann Dudle ddudle at indiana.edu
Fri Jan 3 17:09:05 EST 1997

I am a fourth-year student in a terrific Ecology-Evolution-Behavior
program, and I have met graduate students here who have done everything
under the sun before entering graduate schools (including being set
designers for off-Broadway theater and cooking (cheffing?) in upscale
French restaurants, as well as more "traditonal" things like taking a job
as a technician or environmental educator, etc.).  My advice to anyone
unsure about whether s/he wants to enter graduate school is to NOT do so
until s/he is pretty darn sure.  Graduate schools in this field are not
too particular about what perspective students may have done in the last
few years, especially if they can demonstrate good critical thinking
skills, good questions to go about investigating, and the other skills
that they will need to become academic scientists.

My own advisor, who has a great reputation as a scientist, is very proud
that she "hung out on the beach" for nearly 6 months before she decided
to enter graduate school...

I agree that it will be more difficult to apply in a year or two, but the
brain-rest that you could give yourself in that interval may well be
worth it.  Remember, it is hard to find a good time to stop and rest
after you have entered grad school!  (Believe me, I wish that I had
thought of this before I had started.)

I hope this helps--
Dana