tech vs scientist was:Re: professionalism, women, and Oprah! (looonnngggg)

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Fri Jan 3 11:15:07 EST 1997

On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, aloisia schmid wrote:

> > Is this _true_? How idiotic! Is it truly the lack of a PhD, or the lack of a
> > lab/program of your own? In my old department there was one PI who only had a
> > master's. He is quite young, well published, very productive and *extremely*
> > sharp. He just saw no need to get a PhD (this may be a bad carreer move if he
> > ever decides he wants to move to another department, but our department
> > supported him nicely). He has a lab and students, a tech, everything. I don't
> > know if he had to have a co-author on all his grants or not...
> >
> > Anyway, sorry (again) if I offended you. In my mind, "scientist" and
> > "technician" are two seperate things, but that doesn't stop the phenomonally
> > energetic among us from doing both! (some of us have a hard time with just
> > "student" :)
> >
> > --
> > Susan
> >
> > http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/s/sjhogart/public/home.html
> > Check this! http://homepage.cistron.nl/~peterh/gsresources/
>

> Dear Susan,
>
>      Yes, it's true.  At least as far as I know.  Every grant application
> I have filled out (and those have only been for post-doc fellowships) have
> required it.   I am STUNNED that North Carolina has research faculty with
> master's degrees!  How does this guy get grants?  Even if he has to have a
> co-author on his grants, i cannot imagine the co-author would not get the
> money!  That the master's degree guy would be at the mercy of the people
> with their names on the bottom line.  Think about all of the people out
> there with PhDs who can't get jobs!  How did this guy get this one?
>

>                               Alice

Alice,
Until very recently it was not uncommon to find people with an MS as
faculty members. I taught at a University in which two of the permenant
faculty had an MS. One of them actively sought grants (and got) grants in
Science Education. I don't know if either of them ever had research
grants, per se, although perhaps faculty status would cancel out the not
having a PhD part. I think that fewer institutions are considering people
without a PhD for tenure track positions, though.

Linnea