underrepresented minorities

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Fri Jan 3 13:29:18 EST 1997

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, aloisia schmid wrote:

Hello!!
I am snipping a lot of Alice's excellent post in order to address one
question she had.

> > As an aside, my freshman year I attended a premedical conference ostensibly
> > targeted at underrepresented minorities, to try to get more of them to
> > attend medical school.  Apparently the person who organized it didn't
> > realize that they were targeting *black* people.
>
> Are Asian students considered under-represented minorities?  I have no
> opinion one way or the other, but if I were a minority student, I would
> expect such a conference to be composed of Hispanic and Black students,
> who seem to be present in graduate and professional schools at percentages
> far below the fraction of the population their ethnic groups comprise.
> But I was under the impression that Asian students do not suffer from this
> same under-representation. Is that wrong?

I work at what is considered a "minority institution". Part of this lab's
funding comes from and NSF program designed to increase the participation
of minority students in science and engineering  research. According to the
NSF's guidelines for this particular grant, people of Asian ancestory are
*not* considered an underrepresented minority.

It may be different for other programs!

Hope this helps!
Linnea