Is it possible??

Denise Storck-schattner storck-s at it.uwp.edu
Mon Jan 6 10:43:22 EST 1997

I'm currently finishing my M.S. and I have a family.  I was one of these
woman who wanted it all, however, I always new I wanted a family.  After
graduation and my thesis defense, I'm going to pursue a job, and
hopefully, can have an iteresting career that will allow me to enjoy my
family.  You need to decide what you want out of life, and don't be
afraid to change your mind because of the pressure of other people.  You
need to live with your decisions, and if your decisions make you unhappy,
than is it worth it.

I graduated from high school in 1988, and I was predicted to have my
Ph.D. by the time I was 28.  I went to my five year reunion in 1993, and
you would not believe the number of people who were shocked that I did
not have my B.S. yet (I worked full-time to pay for my education
attending classes part-time for five years and finishing up full-time the
remaining two years).  Hopefully, by the end of this year, I will have my
M.S.  I'll be 28 this year.  I may or may not get my Ph.D. someday, but
I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  I'm very happy doing my
research, and I'm looking forward to gainful employment in the future.
I'm also happy that I have the flexibility to watch my 11 month old son
discover the world we live in and to spend quality time with my husband.
And, I firmly believe that I will be the most successful when my son and
future children grow up to well-rounded, well-adjusted, happy citizens of
society.  I may not rise to the top of the career ladder or have the
highest paying and powerful job in the world, but I'm happy.  And,
truthfully, a lot of my peers in the real world (unsure of the science
world) commend me on the job I'm doing.  So, I guess the real message
that I'm trying to get across is BE HAPPY because otherwise, everything
you do will have no meaning and you will just be miserable all the time.

My two cents worth!

 mAdHattEr (yjc1743 at is.nyu.edu) wrote:
: From reading concerns of several people with professional careers in
: science field, I've gotten little scared...
: I'm only a undergrad student hoping to get into medical science research
: area...maybe get MD or PhD or both..eventually.
: I don't mind working so many hours and stuff(I think), and I would like to
: excel in the field that I will be in, but at the same time I would also
: want to have a family and enjoy my life perhaps.
: Is this a hopeless dream??
: I've been hearing all these stories how it is almost impossible and I see
: lots of single women scientists at places I do my internships..
: I'm just curious and concerned...
:
: "Show me a sane man and I'll cure him for you.."
: 				-C.G. Jung
: /yjc1743 at is.NYU.EDU /