The Mind of a Scientist = The Mind of an Artist??

Cindy Hale chale at SAGE.NRRI.UMN.EDU
Wed Jan 8 12:44:02 EST 1997

Chris Odt Wrote " I am an artist in my other life,"...

I am also and artist/biologist and there are a very large number (seems to
me) of my biological friends who are also artists.  Further, my artist
friends have great interest in biology as well.

It makes me wonder about this left right brain stuff.  Supposedly the right
brain is the "artistic" side and the left the "analytical" so the more
scientific.  But science is very creative in practice.  You need to be
able to visualize and make sense of things in a very abstract way many
times. Great artists/musicians/etc. have an understanding of their
media which is very detailed and meticulous which gives them the ability to
DO what they want with it.  This seems more "left brainish" to me.

I seems to me that science and art are very similar processes and that our
brains are doing very similar things.

So what do you all think?

Cindy Hale