The Mind of a Scientist = The Mind of an Artist??

ktlee+ at pitt.edu ktlee+ at pitt.edu
Wed Jan 8 15:15:55 EST 1997

Deb Britt wrote:

> Well, just as not all artists are scientists, not all scientists are
> artists.  I for one can't manage anything better than stick figures.  When
> I taught labs, I used to xerox a lot, so that I didn't have to draw
> (unrecognizable to the students) on the board.  I do, however, have some
> musical ability, and know (or know of) many scientists who are also
> musicians.  I think that creativity is one of the characteristics that is
> necessary to become a good scientist, although the outlet for that
> creativity differs according to the talents of the individual.
>
> Deb
>
> --
> Deborah Britt, Ph.D.
> Department of Medical Oncology
> Rhode Island Hospital

I know what you mean. :-) I start all my classes by explaining that I
will be using overheads frequently because I can only draw stick
hearts and stick brains. (I teach Anatomy and Physiology).  In my
other life, I am a singer, and can't imagine what my life would be
like without music.  I know lots of people who are both scientists and
either musicians or artists.

Somebody once told me: "Science is 10% creativity and 90% drudgery.
Every scientist lives for that 10%."  I'm not sure the percentages are
accurate, but the sentiment is rings true for me.

Karen

Karen T. Lee (ktlee+ at pitt.edu)
Dept. of Biology
Univ. of Pittsburgh at Johnstown