taking a year off

Ann Marie Fick amfick at umich.edu
Wed Jan 8 17:06:38 EST 1997

: Trina wrote....

: A query...
: When taking a year "off" between undergraduate and graduate study, is it
: better to apply and defer, or not apply at all, or apply and then ask to
: reactivate the application a year later, or something else?

hi trina... this is definitely an individual decision, but let me tell you
my experience.  when i graduated with my biochem degree in 93, everyone
was either going to med school or grad school in my class, and so was i.
i started in a phd program in pharmacology, and after two long hard years,
i found out that research wasn't the path i would have chosen.  maybe i
would have known that sooner had i taken some time off and actually
worked, maybe not... anyway, before entering into my present masters
program in education, i did take a year off, and it has done a world of
good for me by focusing me on what i really want/need to do.

hope your decision process goes well..

ann marie :)

"I've heard it too many times to ignore it,
it's something that I'm supposed to be..."
       Kermit - "Rainbow Connection"