Why I love science

rtemple at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU rtemple at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU
Thu Jan 9 11:16:23 EST 1997

Why do I love science?

I love to look at the simplicity, elegance, and grace which organisms have
developed to survive, adapt, & thrive. The sheer elegance of kinase cascades -
controlling, modulating, and determining what a particular cell will do in
various circumstances - just astounds me. I work in yeast (cerevisae) and have
tripped over a novel morphological trigger involved in determining where a cell
will choose to bud it's next daughter cell that is 1:1 related to a very 'old'
gene involved with folate synthesis...all this on my way to answer another
question, my original question. Unanswered questions posed by work that was done
on this gene in 1970 - before I was born - I can now help speculate  as to the
answers w/ some certainty. It's an amazing life - the constant challenges, being
swamped in experiments but relishing every minute, because on the next gel or in
the next culture could be an answer - or better yet another question - for you.

My fiancee's youngest son (8 years old) lives with us, and he was asked to write
an 'essay' for The Best Parent/Guardian In The World (excuse the NYC p.c.). He
wrote the following..."My Robyn is the greatest because she is a scientist. Her
job is to figure out riddles and make new medicines for sick people & kids so
they get better. She works very hard, even sometimes all weekend too, and
sometimes she lets me feed the fish in her office. She can tell me how yeast
make the bread for my sandwiches. She makes learning about science fun and shows
me all sorts of cool stuff in the lab. She can see DNA on a special machine and
grows lots of bacteria. I like it when she comes to Liberty Science Center with
us because she helps me understand all of the exhibits that are hard. I
especially liked it when she froze my koosh ball in liquid nitrogen and dropped
it on the floor and it smashed into little pieces. But most of all, she is very
fun & I love her & that is why she is the best parent in the world." I think he
says it better than I do about why I work the long hours & spend endless nights
reading papers that go in circles sometimes. I'ts a really good feeling knowing
that at least one 8 year old in the world thinks you're cool - and better yet,
that science is cool.

Robyn

Robyn Temple
SUNY HSC at Brooklyn

"Ebola goes on the top shelf, sandwiches and cheesecake on the bottom."