sports & baking & frustration revisited

rtemple at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU rtemple at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU
Fri Jan 10 12:06:35 EST 1997

wachan wrote...
<snip>

Regarding scholarship I am not aware of that at least in England but normally
young players who shows talents get selected by clubs for youth teams and
if successfull gets to become professional.

<end>

We have a similar system of select teams and clubs here in the US too - for both
men's & women's soccer. You have to show talent on these kinds of teams for
colleges to even be interested in recruiting you most of the time. After
college, there wasn't the option to 'go professional' for MANY years. Now that
it's here, I think the women's Olympic team did a -heck- of a lot for an
'amateur' squad. I think if you want to continue this string as a true soccer
debate, you should find another forum for it. This string did not begin as a
critique on soccer, but attempted to use many types sports as vehicles for a
larger discussion of people's attitudes, behaviours, and life lessons. I used
soccer as an example - not in order to squabble about who is 40 years ahead of
anyone else or remark about specifically about the game.

I previously commented:

: : Most women (and men) who play sports - or who participate in
: : some sort of team-oriented extracurricular activity - in college learn how
: : manage time effectively, cooperate with others, and juggle many tasks at
once.
: : The SUM of the skills learned in the athletic arenas can translate over into
: : professional life, if a person isn't stubborn enough to not see the
parallels. I
: : find that the women carry these over more often than men.

And whachan responded...
<snip>
This sounds more to me like a maths lesson, I am sure one would agree
that actual skill on the pitch means a lot, maybe it is ok if you were
training to become a manager of a team rather than as a player.

 Wah.

<end>

Aren't we all trying to learn lessons that allow us to become good managers of a
team -- like, for a really improbable example -- a research lab? Do we all have
to be the Diego Maradona's or Watson's & Crick's of the world to take real pride
in our abilities & achievements? And then to take something we have done
previously & apply it to another facet of our lives successfully? This whole
discussion began as a set of observations about how things that seem gender-
related are percieved to affect everyday life. Can we get back to that please?
Or change the subject so that we can go back to talking about things that are
relevant to the group? I am not going to write on this any more; I for one am
tired of beating this dead horse.

Robyn