baking & sports & frustration revisited

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Jan 10 05:27:37 EST 1997

Megan Brown (mbrown at fred) wrote:
: : wahchan wrote ....

: : <snip>
: : A "scholarship in soccer"? That is a new one to me. I guess players like
: : Pele, Diego Maradonna and Paul Gasgoine (famouse soccer lout and wife beater)
: : would gets accepted for acedemic study in soccer (Pele maybe but the other
: : two I very much doubt and a good chance of failing like those 4 other men)
: : but I doubt very much. In fact many talented footballer dont do very well
: : acedemically yet their skill in the field is all they need, practice
: : and skill speaks for themselves. I have seen US style football and
: : also women's game on the international level, the US style is very much
: : similar to what the rest of the world was playing 40 years ago were the pace
: : of game is a hell of a lot slower, few close markings, plenty of open
: : spaces and more friendly (no dirty elbowing, pulling shirt, malicouse
: : wounding, play acting etc to name a few) in fact if the rest of the soccer
: : nations around the world had stuck to the same pattern of play in the US
: : like they were doing 40 years ago children as young as 12 yrs and adult as old
: : as 60 yrs would have been playing in the same team and women would have
: : competed with the men. If you look at Superbowl in the US this is a good
: : comparison to soccer in other countries.

: Does this paragraph on soccer make sense to anyone else out there or am I
: the only one who cannot follow the above? I have followed US soccer for
: years and am well acquainted with the international game. I
: don't understand how if the US is 40 years behind in soccer, how come the
: US national team (women's) routinely wins international tournements; a
: recent example is the gold medal at the 96 Olympics. Surely if that team
: was 40 years behind they would not be winning at the international level,
: unless the rest of the world was even further behind. The US men's game
: is another story; they do indeed have some catching up to do, but as
: those of us who have followed the men's game know, the US men have made
: huge strides in the last 20 years. I have played soccer for many years in
: the US and had the opportunity to observe a friendly women's game
: firsthand in Switzerland when I lived there in the early eighties. The
: women ran around the field dressed in cutesy costumes with handknit little
: booties attached to their socks. On the sidelines were their boyfriends
: and assorted other males out for a good laugh and some fine female
: oogling. The best US equivalent I can come up with is how some American
: men like to watch female mud wrestling. There was no display of soccer
: skills at all. My Swiss friends seemed puzzled when I explained to them
: that I played competitive soccer in the US, for it seemed that there was
: no such thing for women in Switzerland (or at least they knew of none).
: The whole spectacle was quite humiliating. Now this all occurred 15 odd
: years ago, but at that time, the Swiss seemed decades behind American
: women in soccer, not 40 years ahead!

You are right the US womens team had won the gold (home advantage and with
a big crowd behind them) but you have forgotten the womens soccer is still
not on the professional level and mainly part time and very much a recent
addition around the world with almost the same style (apart from pace) as
the US mens soccer which is about 40 years behind of top footballing
nations, I do apologise because when I said US soccer was 40 years behind
I was referring to the mens game and made comparison with that of womens
game which I believe is still more or less the same everywhere in the world
given the fact womens game are still in the "amateur" level.
Teams who had competed in the Olympics are NOT professional squad or players
not currently playing for their country so therefore current womens
internationals gets to compete.

Regarding scholarship I am not aware of that at least in England but normally
young players who shows talents get selected by clubs for youth teams and
if successfull gets to become professional.

: Robyn commented:

: : Most women (and men) who play sports - or who participate in
: : some sort of team-oriented extracurricular activity - in college learn how to
: : manage time effectively, cooperate with others, and juggle many tasks at once.
: : The SUM of the skills learned in the athletic arenas can translate over into
: : professional life, if a person isn't stubborn enough to not see the parallels. I
: : find that the women carry these over more often than men.

This sounds more to me like a maths lesson, I am sure one would agree
that actual skill on the pitch means a lot, maybe it is ok if you were
training to become a manager of a team rather than as a player.

	Wah.

: I'd have to agree with this. My years of playing soccer taught me many
: valuable life skills. One that stands out is decision-making. Although
: goalkeeper was not my favorite position, I did play keeper exclusively for
: a brief time, perhaps 2-3 seasons. As any soccer player knows, the keeper
: who hesitates is lost, and sometimes making any decision, whether "right"
: or "wrong", is better than making a decision too slowly. This experience
: as keeper helped me with indecisiveness in many situations in my life at
: the time.

: Well, enough on soccer, but I just couldn't avoid chiming in on this topic
: to rejoin comments that seemed at best to me nonsensical.

: Megan Brown
: Soccer alum, Santa Clara University and other teams too numerous to list!

: mbrown at fred.fhcrc.org