families and finances

matkisso at opal.tufts.edu matkisso at opal.tufts.edu
Fri Jan 10 18:01:24 EST 1997

I want to add a short comment on the subject of money.  Although speaking about
a specific person's financial situation may be taboo (but note it's okay to
talk about being broke...), the issue is important.

Of the successful (re:well-known, not just making it) women scientists I know
or know of, all have had the funds to hire a nanny.  Most nannies also do light
housekeeping, like laundry, and vacuuming.  Wouldn't that be nice?

Generally these women have had family money, or been married to someone with a
high income.  I've even heard the advice that if you want a family, don't marry
another scientist, find a lawyer or a nice MD.

Peg.