professionalism, women, and Oprah! (looonnngggg)

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 7 11:53:26 EST 1997

Julia Morris wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> ...I am presently an unemployed PhD, looking
> for a job that isn't a postdoc.  I was just passed over for a tech job
> because (I think) I am overqualified, and would be more expensive than an
> MS.  I quit my postdoc because I didn't want to work all weekend, write
> grants, and have to be responsible for the creative aspects of my
> experiments.  I think I'm smart enough, but it's not my strongest point,
> nor is it what I want.  I would love to be a Lab Supervisor, but no one
> will take me.

Wow! That is _very_ refreshing to hear! Although the "over-qualified"
bit is very sad. This seems like another case where the PhD/no PhD thing
can be a nuisance instead of a help (remember, I was the one who wrote
about people getting faculty positions without PhDs, and that seemed to
cause some resentment).

Enough babbling from me; I just wanted to wish you luck and tell you I
rather envy your finding a carreer that satisfies you (now, if you could
just find the *job* that goes with the carreer :)

Good luck!
--
Susan

Check this! http://homepage.cistron.nl/~peterh/gsresources/