sports & baking & frustration revisited

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Jan 14 05:55:18 EST 1997

rtemple at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU wrote:
: wachan wrote...
: <snip>

: Regarding scholarship I am not aware of that at least in England but normally
: young players who shows talents get selected by clubs for youth teams and
: if successfull gets to become professional.

: <end>

: We have a similar system of select teams and clubs here in the US too - for both
: men's & women's soccer. You have to show talent on these kinds of teams for
: colleges to even be interested in recruiting you most of the time. After
: college, there wasn't the option to 'go professional' for MANY years. Now that
: it's here, I think the women's Olympic team did a -heck- of a lot for an
: 'amateur' squad. I think if you want to continue this string as a true soccer
: debate, you should find another forum for it. This string did not begin as a
: critique on soccer, but attempted to use many types sports as vehicles for a
: larger discussion of people's attitudes, behaviours, and life lessons. I used
: soccer as an example - not in order to squabble about who is 40 years ahead of
: anyone else or remark about specifically about the game.

: I previously commented:

: : : Most women (and men) who play sports - or who participate in
: : : some sort of team-oriented extracurricular activity - in college learn how
: : : manage time effectively, cooperate with others, and juggle many tasks at
: once.
: : : The SUM of the skills learned in the athletic arenas can translate over into
: : : professional life, if a person isn't stubborn enough to not see the
: parallels. I
: : : find that the women carry these over more often than men.

: And whachan responded...
: <snip>
: This sounds more to me like a maths lesson, I am sure one would agree
: that actual skill on the pitch means a lot, maybe it is ok if you were
: training to become a manager of a team rather than as a player.

:  Wah.

: <end>

: Aren't we all trying to learn lessons that allow us to become good managers of a
: team -- like, for a really improbable example -- a research lab? Do we all have
: to be the Diego Maradona's or Watson's & Crick's of the world to take real pride
: in our abilities & achievements? And then to take something we have done
: previously & apply it to another facet of our lives successfully? This whole
: discussion began as a set of observations about how things that seem gender-
: related are percieved to affect everyday life. Can we get back to that please?
: Or change the subject so that we can go back to talking about things that are
: relevant to the group? I am not going to write on this any more; I for one am
: tired of beating this dead horse.

: Robyn

: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: Robyn Temple
: SUNY HSC at Brooklyn

Robyn,
I have to say you started all this an made the most of this and I am just
correcting you on a few of your comment. Without being prejudice to US
soccer it is official that its remains a minority sport in your country
and the US womens team no matter how well its doing at present its remains
an amateur sport which compete on the same level world wide and is no
indication of how well the US mens team can be compared internationally.

	Wah.