revealing pregnancy

Jessica Boyd jboyd at acs.ucalgary.ca
Mon Jan 20 18:44:18 EST 1997

In article <v01510100af00f4ae25d3@[205.247.37.116]>, neuroguy at USA1.COM
(Dave Johnson) wrote:

> I have been following all the threads with interest but particularly the
> one about women with children and academic appointments.  I have been an
> assistant professor for 4 months now and am expecting my first child this
> summer.  At what point in a pregnancy have other women out there revealed
> it to colleagues, department heads etc?  A few weeks before I found out I
> was expecting I was questioned by a male colleague as to whether or not I
> was pregnant ( I was drinking tea (typical for me ) not beer at a social
> function.  He had been thinking that I would be likely to start a family
> soon and was wondering when I would "not be around for a while".  I am a
> little uncertain about how my news will be received by my colleagues and
> would be interested in hearing other womens' experiences.  On the plus
> side...I am due in between semesters and if all goes well I will be able to
> continue my teaching schedule (1 course per semester) uninterrupted.  I
> also do the majority of my work on computers so do not have to work with
> radioactivity or lab reagents and can do a lot of work from home.  Anyway I
> am looking forward to it all and enjoy the supportive atmosphere of this
> newsgroup.
>
> Tina

Tina,

Find out from your department head or personel department just what the
University policy regarding maternity leave is.  It is likely that your
department head doesn't know because he may have never had a pregnant
woman in his department before.  If this is the case, ask the personel
department.   You may be able to renegotiate your tenure clock, ie: have
it extended by a year or so, but find out and get it in writing.  Be
realistic about the time commitment  even a healthy pregnancy and baby
takes.  Think now about contingency plans if you need to quit work earlier
than you expect  (like who can give your lectures for you).  Be agressive
about getting all the time off you are eligible for.  As for telling
people about it I would wait until I had a plan.  Don't worry about how
your collegues take the news, if they are supportive, good, if not the
heck with them.

Jessie