revealing pregnancy

esylander at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU esylander at NETMAIL.HSCBKLYN.EDU
Tue Jan 21 17:18:09 EST 1997

Subject: Re: revealing pregnancy
From:    Linnea Ista <lkista at unm.edu> at Internet
Date:    1/21/97  4:44 PM

On 21 Jan 1997 esylander at netmail.hscbklyn.edu wrote:

> I can only give you an experience I saw happen. I am a tech, and the tech
before
> me came to the job a few months pregnant, but did not tell my boss. 6 months
> into the job, she left for maternity leave, and my boss was without a tech.
That
> left behind a major amount of resentment. I guess that you should arrange
> things, if you can, so that you do not cause resentment among your collegues.
> Most of them will probably just be happy for you anyway.
>
> beth

On the other hand, would your boss have hired her at all if it was *known*
that she was pregnant?

Linnea

Now there is my problem. I would like to think that he would be a good guy and
have hired her anyway, but he probably would not have. He would now, I think. He
has a two year old, and has mellowed considerably since her birth. But as a
boss, I probably would not have hired her anyway. My reasoning being that
continuity is necessary when you have one technician leaving and a new one
coming in. Otherwise things get lost.

beth
_
> Subject: Re: revealing pregnancy
> From:    jboyd at acs.ucalgary.ca (Jessica Boyd) at Internet
> Date:    1/20/97  7:25 PM
>
> In article <v01510100af00f4ae25d3@[205.247.37.116]>, neuroguy at USA1.COM
> (Dave Johnson) wrote:
>
> > I have been following all the threads with interest but particularly the
> > one about women with children and academic appointments.  I have been an
> > assistant professor for 4 months now and am expecting my first child this
> > summer.  At what point in a pregnancy have other women out there revealed
> > it to colleagues, department heads etc?  A few weeks before I found out I
> > was expecting I was questioned by a male colleague as to whether or not I
> > was pregnant ( I was drinking tea (typical for me ) not beer at a social
> > function.  He had been thinking that I would be likely to start a family
> > soon and was wondering when I would "not be around for a while".  I am a
> > little uncertain about how my news will be received by my colleagues and
> > would be interested in hearing other womens' experiences.  On the plus
> > side...I am due in between semesters and if all goes well I will be able to
> > continue my teaching schedule (1 course per semester) uninterrupted.  I
> > also do the majority of my work on computers so do not have to work with
> > radioactivity or lab reagents and can do a lot of work from home.  Anyway I
> > am looking forward to it all and enjoy the supportive atmosphere of this
> > newsgroup.

The following is an attached File item from cc:Mail.  It contains
information that had to be encoded to ensure successful transmission
through various mail systems.  To decode the file use the UUDECODE
program.
--------------------------------- Cut Here ---------------------------------
begin 644 RFC822.TXT
M4F5C96EV960Z(&9R;VT@;75S8V$N=6YM+F5D=2!B>2!N971M86EL+FAS8V)K
M;'EN+F5D=2`H4TU44$Q)3DL at 5C(N,3$N,#$I#0H@("`@.R!4=64L(#(Q($IA
M;B`Y-R`Q-CHT,SHT-B!%4U0-"E)E='5R;BU0871H.B`\;&MI<W1A0'5N;2YE
M9'4^#0I296-E:79E9#H at 8GD@;75S8V$N=6YM+F5D=0T*("`@('9I82!S96YD
M;6%I;"!W:71H('-T9&EO#0H@("`@:60@/&TP=FUN=W$M,#`P,%!U0T!M=7-C
M82YU;FTN961U/@T*("`@(&9O<B!E<WEL86YD97)`;F5T;6%I;"YH<V-B:VQY
M;BYE9'4[(%1U92P@,C$@2F%N(#$Y.3<@,30Z-#$Z-#`@+3`W,#`@*$U35"D-
M"B`@("`H4VUA:6PM,RXR(#$Y.38M2G5L+30@(S8 at 8G5I;'0@,3DY-BU*=6PM
M,C(I#0I$871E.B!4=64L(#(Q($IA;B`Q.3DW(#$T.C0Q.C0P("TP-S`P("A-
M4U0I#0I&<F]M.B!,:6YN96$@27-T82`\;&MI<W1A0'5N;2YE9'4^#0I4;SH@
M97-Y;&%N9&5R0&YE=&UA:6PN:'-C8FML>6XN961U#0IC8SH@=V]M96YB:6]`
M;F5T+F)I;RYN970-"E-U8FIE8W0Z(%)E.B!R979E86QI;F<@<')E9VYA;F-Y
M#0I);BU297!L>2U4;SH@/#DW,#`R,3 at U,S at N04$X-3,X.#@X-S1`;F5T;6%I
M;"YH<V-B:VQY;BYE9'4^#0I-97-S86=E+4E$.B`\4&EN92Y!,S(N,RXY,2XY
M-S`Q,C$Q-#0P,#`N,C$T,S,X02TQ,#`P,#!`;75S8V$N=6YM+F5D=3X-"DU)
M344M5F5R<VEO;CH@,2XP#0I#;VYT96YT+51Y<&4Z(%1%6%0O4$Q!24X[(&-H
087)S970]55,M05-#24D-"@``

end