Upcoming Career Meeting in SFO

Edith Read edith2 at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 24 23:40:26 EST 1997

Linda St. James wrote:

> Presentation Title: Designing a Blueprint For Your Future in Science
>
> Speaker:Dave Jensen, Managing Director
> Search Masters International, Sedona, Arizona
>
> Location: American Women In Science Meeting, CHIRON CORPORATION, 4560
> Horton Ave, Emeryville, CA
>
> Food and drink, all Scientists and Students Welcome
>
> When: Thursday, January 23rd, 1997, at 6:30 PM
>
> Abstact:
>
> Have you ever noticed that the people you know who have done the best with
> their career choices always seemed to have had some kind of plan?
> snip<
Actually, no. I know a lot of people who happened into their job by
chance, like me. Speaking for me, I just followed my senses and tried to
stay true to myself, ignoring what other people did. Sounds hack, but
money was never the main goal, just trying to do what I like doing
(ecology), and not getting stuck with academic politics. For those
interested in money alone (appealing to those who are apparently the
market audience for this meeting), perhaps its helpful to know I now
make $60k a year in the private sector, which seems to be what they pay
Phd's these days, dress casual and otherwise don't care about company
and money stuff.  Ladder climbers tend to fall by the wayside cuz they
base their happiness on prestige and money, things that are easily taken
away. Maybe I'd make lots more money helping people prepare vision plans
(Dilbert, take note), but gosh, I'm a lot happier. Edith