grad school

Mary Ann Cushman cushmam at okstate.edu
Wed Jan 29 09:48:08 EST 1997

Hi-
Here, here!
I have been dealing with precisely the same questions. It definitely helps to hear that other people in similar
situations are making it through. Its amazing what a few doubts can do to your gyroscope! I think its extra
important to make sure not to let other people's (that is academics...) prejudices (especially if they have no
first hand experience) deter you if you decide to go into industry - there can be tremendous peer pressure
against and disdain for choosing to work for a company, especially if you are bright and good in the lab. I
think it has to do with the academic thing about posterity and intellectual offspring. A lot also depends on
where you live and whether relocating for a job is possible. Its always complicated!
This reminds me of a book I once saw 'How to be a grown-up' - I don't remember the author.
In one section, the question is asked, 'Should I, or what if I want to, go to graduate school?' The answer:
'Grow up and go get a job!' :-)
Best of luck to all.
Mer