spam in bionet newsgroups

taguebw at wfu.edu taguebw at wfu.edu
Mon Jul 7 08:51:24 EST 1997

In article <18B02551AF at bio.tamu.edu>, JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU ("Julia
Frugoli") wrote:

> Megan Brown
> mbrown at fred.fhcrc.org wrote:
>
> I have heard recently that there are programs called cancelbots that
> automatically remove spam before postings to newsgroups.

SNIP

> From a posting by the founder of another newsgroup I'm on, I know the
> bionet administration is looking into getting these programs, so the
> spamming may end soon.  All of the newsgroups are under siege.
>
> Julia Frugoli
> Dartmouth College

The Plant education newsgroup voted to moderate. In the message concerning
the vote it was indicated that the BIOSCI administrators are trying to
test a system ot filter spam electronically so there would be no need to
moderate. It will apparently be a few week in testing....

My 2 electrons,
Brian