How do you handle it?

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Jul 8 11:41:27 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.970708111254.16755C-100000 at umbi.umd.edu> Kimberly Walker <walker at umbi.umd.edu> writes:

>I'm looking for information on how to deal with difficult men in your
>labspace......
>
>How do you all deal with men who remark too much on physical attributes,
>cultural/racial differences, who exhibit racist/sexist behavior and are
>all-around jerks effectively?

1.) Try to explain to them that their behaviour is unacceptable.

2.) Remark on *their* physical experience.
If you're the type that's made of steel, "squeezably soft" is often a good
insult to use on an out-of-shape guy.
Molson Muscle (or Miller Muscle) is a good one too
(as in "could you get your Miller Muscle out of my way so I can get
to the centrifuge")

3.) Go to the boss for help. Harrassment charges can and sometimes should
be filed if a semi-official reprimand doesn't help.
If the jerk is the boss, go to *his* boss.
If he is the top-ranking person, there are government agencies that can
help.

(Of course if you are his boss, you can give him one warning to straighten
out,and if he won't then you have a valid reason to fire him.

Annette