How do you handle it?

Deb Britt Deborah_Britt at brown.edu
Thu Jul 10 13:11:50 EST 1997

For some reason I was just thinking about the issue of sexual harassment,
remembering when I was a grad student and I worked part time in a produce
market.  The wholesale dept. manager and his crew of teenage guys used to
constantly make comments about my figure, my bra size, etc, every time I
walked through their area.  My approach was just to ignore it, but it
didn't stop and I had to put up with it for a long time.  Looking back, I
realize I should have been much more assertive.

No one should have to put up with harassment at work, and my advice now
would be:  corner the chief offender, look him straight in the eye, and
tell him confidently and firmly that his comments are out of line and that
you will not tolerate them any longer.  Some of these guys just need to be
called on their jacka** behavior. If the problems continue, start to
document specific incidents, and take the issue up with your boss (major
prof, dept. head, or whoever).  Things aren't going to change unless you
initiate it.

Just my 2 cents
Deb Britt

--