How do you handle it?

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Jul 14 09:00:26 EST 1997

Deb Britt (Deborah_Britt at brown.edu) wrote:
: For some reason I was just thinking about the issue of sexual harassment,
: remembering when I was a grad student and I worked part time in a produce
: market.  The wholesale dept. manager and his crew of teenage guys used to
: constantly make comments about my figure, my bra size, etc, every time I
: walked through their area.  My approach was just to ignore it, but it
: didn't stop and I had to put up with it for a long time.  Looking back, I
: realize I should have been much more assertive.

: No one should have to put up with harassment at work, and my advice now
: would be:  corner the chief offender, look him straight in the eye, and
: tell him confidently and firmly that his comments are out of line and that
: you will not tolerate them any longer.  Some of these guys just need to be
: called on their jacka** behavior. If the problems continue, start to
: document specific incidents, and take the issue up with your boss (major
: prof, dept. head, or whoever).  Things aren't going to change unless you
: initiate it.

: Just my 2 cents
: Deb Britt

: In article <Pine.SGI.3.91.970708111254.16755C-100000 at umbi.umd.edu>,