Of moderation

elizabeth lee johnson ejohnson at indiana.edu
Wed Jul 23 16:12:37 EST 1997

aloisia t schmid (a-schmi at uiuc.edu) wrote:
:
: Has anyone ever figured out why people drink alot more at meetings and
: courses than they do at home?  I don't think it is simply nervous
: tension.  It seems engrained in the courses/meetings themselves.  Is this
: just my impression?

Funny pun on the subject line (moderation and drinking).

I think people drink more at meetings because they socialize
more than at home and alcohol is more readily available.
At conferences, there's usually a reception and dinners
at which alcohol is served. And since I'm usually
not driving a car while attending a conference, I don't have to
worry about drinking and driving, a concern that keeps me from
drinking during most social occasions in town.

Liz Johnson