SPAM

Kristie Allen kla at RIVERS.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU
Thu Jul 31 09:26:11 EST 1997

 Hi my name is Kristie,

  I have been lurking on this list for a while and thought I would give
some advice about the spamming.  When a spam comes in to your mailbox via
a newsgroup like this one, the spammer does not have your individual
email address.  They want it, of course, to sell to advertisers and such,
and so put a false message in their email for the recipient to email them
if they want to be taken off the list.  As soon as you reply, they have
your email address (when they didn't before).  Nice trick, huh?

Anyway, back to work...

Kristie L. Allen
Ph.D. Student
Environmental Statistics Group