30 min incubation

Trina Roberts troberts at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 3 11:02:19 EST 1997

Sarah King (bapk5 at central.susx.ac.uk) wrote:
> 	-another thing that that thread made me think of.  My supervisor
> has a very annoying habit of complimenting me on things by saying "Good
> man!". I find this pretty sexist and the first time was so shocked I
> didn't reply.  The next time I said something like "Great compliment,

Funny--I would find it more objectionable if he said "good girl" or "good
woman" to you and "good man" to others.  There is a sense in which phrases
like that are non-gender-specific (no matter what they literally
mean), and I am more comfortable with that than with someone having to
stop and think "Oh, she's a woman, I have to say ____ instead of ____",
forcing them to treat women and men differently.  Yes, it's dated, but if
that's his standard, automatic compliment is there really anything sexist
about it?

--Trina

--
Trina E. Roberts * Biology '97