bias in peer review?

welshwytch violette at vasilisa.com
Tue Jun 3 20:42:22 EST 1997

S L Forsburg wrote:

> Check out the latest Nature (23 May 97 issue).  There's a commentary
> called "nepotism and sexism in peer review"  about a study done in
>  Sweden on peer review for postdoc fellowships, which suggests
> that women candidates must be substantially better than the men to
>  get an equivalent rating.
>
> What's sad of course is that Sweden is supposed to be enlightened
> about equality between men and women; if they see evidence for
> gender bias there, what's it like elsewhere?

I'm right here with you, I'm cross-posting my own alerts about
this study in soc.feminism and all the major science groups.

I think we should call for an investigation of the NSF right
away. I'm very serious about this. Peer review decisions are
often life-altering decisions, women are having their entire lives
rearranged and deformed by this system.

Last week's _Economist_ was wonderful here - they publicized
the Swedish study with a full-page article under the
title _Shameful_

for which I love them. :-)

Let's all call our Senators and Congresswomen and -men and
turn up the heat on the NSF to open themselves up to
rigorous analysis of bias in peer review.

I foresee class action lawsuits here.

To work that hard, to sacrifice your life to the research track,
and then get screwed by a team of irresponsible and under-accountable
"peers" injecting their personal feelings about women into
supposedly objective judgments about the allocation of PUBLIC
funds....  arrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

We need the facts about American peer review now.