Looking for advice on bio career

Diane Carlisle carlisle at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Thu Jun 5 08:35:58 EST 1997

hmbst7 at vms.cis.pitt.edu wrote:
: Hi. My mane is Heather Brockway.  I was advised to post here by a friend from
: scr.research.  I'm a recent graduate from the University of Pittsburgh with a
: BS in Biological Sciences.  I'm looking for advice on what to do now. I'm
: considering grad school, I'm not sure I want to make that kind of committment
: right now.  I extremely interested in genetics and/or botany. I would like to
: try research to see if that path might be good for me.  Unfortunately,
: the only lab experience I have is the course work I have done. I have been
: told that being unskilled isn't uncommon.  I'm looking specifically for
: advice on how to "break" into a research career. I have applied for several
: positions within the University but it seems that I can't get in. Does anyone
: have any suggestions.  Any advice will be sincerely appreciated!! Thanks in
: advance!!!

If this is an option for you - it may be helpful to volunteer in a lab to
get the experience.  I know of several people who began in the lab this
way, giving a 4-6 month committment as a volunteer, and after that time,
when the person said they were leaving, the 6 months was up, the
PI realized they were valuable and responsible, and offered them a paid
position (although often part-time).  Even if that didn't happen, you
would at least leave the lab
with "real" experience to put on a resume to help get you a job somewhere
else.

I know this isn't feasible for everyone, but it's one way to "break in".

Diane