Looking for advice on bio career

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Thu Jun 5 09:02:26 EST 1997

hmbst7 at vms.cis.pitt.edu wrote:

> Hi. My mane is Heather Brockway.  I was advised to post here by a friend from
> scr.research.  I'm a recent graduate from the University of Pittsburgh with a
> BS in Biological Sciences.  I'm looking for advice on what to do now. I'm
> considering grad school, I'm not sure I want to make that kind of committment
> right now.

Then you are wise not to!  Much more sensible to see what's out there.

> I extremely interested in genetics and/or botany. I would like to
> try research to see if that path might be good for me.  Unfortunately,
> the only lab experience I have is the course work I have done. I have been
> told that being unskilled isn't uncommon.

It's not.

> I'm looking specifically for
> advice on how to "break" into a research career. I have applied for several
> positions within the University but it seems that I can't get in. Does anyone
> have any suggestions.

The only advice I have is to keep trying!  Start out with a part-time
job, if that's feasible, to get your foot in the door.  Be willing
to help out.  Polish your organizational skills.  Be enthusiastic in
your interviews--especially about the science.  Everyone likes someone
who is interested in their science.

If you have former professors etc you are
comfortable with, talk to them.  They may put in a good word for you
or tell you if they hear of a position.

Good luck.

-- susan
DON'T REPLY to the email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg, PhD
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA