Perps in lab space

Carol Auer CAUER at canr1.cag.uconn.edu
Wed Jun 11 11:07:37 EST 1997

Hello

The same situation happened years ago when I was a grad student.  A
man was found to be lurking in the women's bathrooms right across
from my lab.

Within a week, the university had installed a lock with a punch code on the
bathroom.  All the grad students and faculty knew the 4 numbers to
push in order to open the door.    This probably was an effective way
to keep casual visitors from gaining access to the bathroom.

I have worked late in various lab buildings over the years.  There is
always an issue of safety  and I have never seen it
completely solved in any building or parking lot.   Unfortunately, the problems are
usually ignored until something horrible happens (like installing a lock on
the bathroom).

 Given the nature of experimental science
and the pressure to produce, I will probably  always be working late in empty
buildings.   The issue of safety is often in  the back of my mind.
Other women on my campus feel the same.  However, I have no easy solutions,
 even for my own office/lab environment.

Carol
Carol Auer               Email: cauer at canr1.cag.uconn.edu
Dept. of Plant Science   Phone: 860-486-1878
Univ. of Connecticut
Storrs, CT USA 06269