perp's in our lab space

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Jun 11 06:07:58 EST 1997

Sally Burns (burnssal at PILOT.MSU.EDU) wrote:
: Hi
: 	Last fall I was working in the lab on a Sunday evening, and went to use
: the womens restroom. I saw a man go around the corner of the stall to an
: back area of the restroom  with a daybed. Thinking this guy just made a
: mistake and was embarrased, I yelled "this is the womens room" and left.
: I returned several minutes later and knocked, asked if any one was
: there--NO Answer. I entered the bathroom and looked  and there was this
: guy sitting on the couch with his pants down!!! I yelled at him, found
: another lab worker and called security. Since then he has been convicted
: of a misdemeanor charge and had to get counseling.((WHICH is known not
: to work very well when compulsory)

: This guy is a grad student and has an office and keys to one of the
: biggest lab buildings on campus.
: 		I have contacted his chair, the ombudsperson and others. I think he
: should be restricted to daytime use of facilities where he poses less of
: a problem.  His presence is a direct threat to womne grad students, post
: docs, faculty and others who use this building.
: 	 	Frankly I think he should be thrown out! He ceratinly should not get
: an assistanship. and the least would be to have his keys taken away so
: that he is restricted to daytime use of the facilities! I think the
: university is endangering other women, allowing a hostile environment to
: continue.
: 		As a woman grad student I have had to go in and out of these labs very
: late  at night. It is bad enough that the U has giant bushes to walk
: past on the way to your car ((assuming you have one)). It is outrageous
: to me that a known perp is allowed privelidges.
: 	...Every one is P.O'd that OJ got off.... but he was a convicted
: batterer for years  before the murders. If our universities and society
: do nothing when these pigs start out on their offense against women, why
: should we be surprised when they go on to commit more B.S. anti woman
: crimes.
:
: 		I believe I have the right to a safe workplace. It is not possible to
: do graduate work in the science without  working nights and weekends in
: the lab. I do not want to share space with a known  sexual perpertrator.
: This limits my ability to focus on my work.
:
: Beyond this individual pig there is an issue of the U's silence and
: complicity.
: 	I have been told and I believe that some dept chairs would get rid of
: this guy ASAP. There are still to many good old boys and IT Should Not
: Be  Up to the Chair! (and dont we know its a chairMAN)
: 		The university has no policy  on this type of thing,  to inform the
: students chair, co-workers, etc, it has no suspension policy or anything
: else. If I hadnt contactedd the guys dept, no one would have known... We
: have a big university police dept,they dont do anything but arrest the
: guy.
: 		I have asked what type of crime a student would have to commit for an
: automatic response of the university to kick in. There has been no real
: answer.
: 	I have heard alot about the perp's rights. Maybe the U is afraid he
: would sue them if his career path was  disrupted. I wonder where the
: legal rights of women to a hazard free workspace are. Maybe that only
: includes hazardous buildings and equiptment...maybe perpetrator men are
: just considered to be a hazard no one can do anything about.

: The university I am at has made a big deal of having the only university
: sponsered battered womens sheltor, called SAFEPLACE. It is sad that the
: safeplace is restricted to one shelter!

: 	I have been a reader of this newsgroup for a long time and hope that
: someone will have ideas. I am curious what sort of policy (or lack of
: policy) exists in other places. Thanks for a space to rant and get
: support.(((another alternative to  crying or breaking something)

: OH ....and if anyone is going to the Microscopy Society meetings in
: Cleveland.... let me know

S. Burns,
	You are absolutely right to be concerned, unfortunately there are
the few who spoils things for everyone, but women are not alone in being
assaulted by these wierdos. If you look at statistics single men who walks
in the street are more likely to be victims of assault, robbery, beaten up
or even sexually molested, unfortunately not many men report the case to the
police. Personally I feel this highlight a very seriose problems when someone,
male or female brutality attack an innocent man or woman it should be a case of
not "one gender does to another" but rather "protecting the innocent from
maniacs". For example a man at our university was held at knife point and
robbed of his possesion by a knife wielding thug who proceeded in slashing
his face, that case horrified employees and students but the university big
wigs then offered all women employees free rape/mugger alarms but when I
requested for one and raise the issue that everyone should be treated as equals
and beside it was after a man had been attacked that they brought about this,
but guess what, the women and some men just looked at me grinning and the look
of their face tells me were to go unless I am female.

	Wah

: Sally Burns

: burnssal at pilot.msu.edu