Science Education

C.J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Wed Jun 11 16:22:15 EST 1997

In article <chriso-1106971010370001 at rumenbugs.dfrc.wisc.edu>,
chriso at dfrc.wisc.edu (Chris Odt) wrote:

>Hello.....I am looking for specific ideas, or a newsgroup, or a Web Site,
>that describes "easy to do in an hour or less" science projects for
>elementary classrooms. Any ideas of good resources for this?  I am a
>microbiologist, and have done some micro related "experiments" with my
>daughter's K-1st-2nd grade classes the past 3 years, but now need more
>ideas. I'd like to get some projects together over the summer, I assume
>from education related web sites, or from teachers. Any and all scientific
>or math related areas are fine.  I just want to get these kids attention
>and get them interested in science before its too late.  Its been so cool
>this past year when I went into my kids 2nd grade class, and one
>particular little girl would always come up to me, and say "I want to be a
>scientist when I grow up, just like Emily's mom"!
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Chris Odt

Chris-Several years ago we got books on home chemistry and physics
experiments that kids can do for my nephew.  I wish I could remember the
titles or authors, but they were pretty neat.  You might want to check the
kids or science section of a large bookstore.

Another suggestion (near and dear to my heart, since I'm in
nutrition)--how about something with food?  One easy thing to do would be
to study the changes in the chlorophyll and anthocyanin (red-purple)
pigments with addition of acid or base.  You could also play with the
effects of overcooking on the pigments.  Enzymatic browning of fruit is
another easily done experiment.

Hope this helped a little!  Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller