Science Education

Beth Shuster eoshuster at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 11 15:27:10 EST 1997

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 10:10:37 -0500, Chris Odt wrote:

>Hello.....I am looking for specific ideas, or a newsgroup, or a Web Site,
>that describes "easy to do in an hour or less" science projects for
>elementary classrooms. Any ideas of good resources for this?

  You might try contacting the Science-By-Mail program at the Boston Museum
of Science - They coordinate a national science pen-pal program supported
by NSF in which scientist mentors are paired up with several small (1-4
students each) groups of students.  These groups may be organized by a
teacher (a class of 28 students, split into groups of 4 can participate),
or an interested parent (who can enroll 1-4 children per membership). The
Science-by-Mail program provides experimental "kits" with very simple
materials and booklets which put the expermiments is the context of a story
or mystery.  The kids do the experiments and then communicate the results,
along with any questions to "their" scientist.   Scientist mentors are
urged to respond with constructive comments & to keep the dialog moving
(i.e., don't bury it on your desk). My lab participated (as a group) in the
early 90's and enjoyed it!

   Although the program is geared to the 4-6 and 7-9 grades (with different
levels of difficulty for each), some of the experiments could be easily
adapted for younger kids.  More info can be found on the Museum's web site:
http://www.mos.org/ - click on "Teacher Resources", then "Science-By-Mail".