perps

Dana Ann Dudle ddudle at indiana.edu
Thu Jun 12 16:37:43 EST 1997

muriel lederman (mstorrie at vt.edu) wrote:
> I will just re-iterate a comment I made on my cmpus. It was within the
> context of a negligible penaly being imposed on a football player accused
> of rape.
>
> Why is it that a student can be expelled for plagarism but not for an
> offense that put lives in danger?
>
> I can come up with an answer - that "intellectual activity" is what defines
> men in the academy and it is extremely precious.  Womens' lives, mental
> health - - who cares?  If they're not tough enough, they shouldn't be
> around.  Cynical? But then again, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean
> they're not out to get you.

I asked myself the same question a week ago-- and came up with a similar
answer.  Someone with whom I was discussing this issue (it was a long and
tearful discussion, let me tell you!) suggested that it is a legal issue,
and that if terms for expulsion on the grounds of conviction for sexual
harrassment/assault/whatever charges were spelled out in a student ethics
code handbook, that the chairperson would be more liekly to get rid of
this jerk.

I am not sure about this-- it seems like this should already BE in the
handbooks of many universities.  Maybe I am naive.

This has been a really disturbing topic-- I can really picture myself in
the woman's (I have misplaced your name-- sorry) situation having worked
in lab for many lonely nights, and I am afraid that I would really have
trouble staying in that environment.

I hope that there is some resolution of the situation-- I liek the idea
of getting the female (and male) students riled up about it.  Make some
noise-- is it possible to threaten a suit?

Sigh.  Good luck--
Dana Dudle