"you'll get a position because you are a woman"

S L Forsburg forsburg at nospamsalk.edu
Fri Jun 13 12:46:40 EST 1997

Paula Schlax wrote:
> A while back someone was posting statistics for the numbers of women
> who
> apply for top tier academic positions. I'd be interested in hearing
> those again. It does seem that fewer women do apply than men (even
> when
> the number of PhDs in the field nears a reasonable ratio).

I don't know if anyone has published statistics, although a number
of us have made observations that we've discussed exhaustively in
this forum.  My observation has been that women
account for perhaps 20% of the applications for the jobs for which
I've been on the search committe, if that--and since I'm a junior
faculty member, I'm talking about recent searches.  My
institution is a  private, non profit biological research
institute.  Women make up just under 20% of  our faculty.

-- susan
DON'T REPLY to the email address in header!
It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg, PhD
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA