bias in peer review

Neo Martinez neo at sfsu.edu
Fri Jun 13 13:06:09 EST 1997

Howdy Folks,
	A couple of people mentioned an idea that may be rather
destructive of some goals we hold in common.  That idea is the assertion
that affirmative action programs and separate evaluations for different
groups fosters the notion that women and minorities are less qualified for
the positions they hold.  This assertion gains more credibility from
our repetition of it.
	What these many studies and our own experiences demonstrate is
that there is a literally *incredible* institutionalized affirmative
action program in place for white males.  Folks who post keep saying it's
discrimination against us rather than affirmative action for them.  The
fact is that white males have their powerful positions largely because of
their race and gender.  Both those traits treat them to preferential
treatment from the day they are born 'til much after they're dead and
gone.
	My point is this:  Quit being on the defensive.  Go on the
offensive.  White males benefit from overwhelming amounts of
institutionalized affirmative action (from TV to politics to education to
peer review). It is they who are less qualified due to their talents and
more "qualified" due to their race and gender.  Start telling them so!
Isn't that what all these studies are saying?
	-neo

Neo Martinez   (neo at sfsu.edu)        *Currently* at ('til 8/25/97):
Assistant Professor of Biology          Rocky Mountain Biological Lab
Romberg Tiburon Center                  PO Box 519
San Francisco State University          Crested Butte, CO  81224
PO Box 855
Tiburon, CA 94920