"you'll get a position because you are a woman"

Dr. Paula J. Schlax pjschlax at JHUVMS.HCF.JHU.EDU
Fri Jun 13 08:45:52 EST 1997

Hi-
I 've been reading the recent thread on the Swedish study, and comments
people have made reminded me of some of the inane comments some people I
know have said.

No quotes- everything is paraphrased:

- Of course she got the job, she had an NIH fellowship and a great
pedigree.  If I had gone to school where she did I might have gotten the
job too.

-It would be a good job for a woman returning to work after having kids,
umm I mean someone without any great ambition.

-You'll have no problem getting a job. (Along that line, if you were
black too, you'd really have it made- nice huh?)

A while back someone was posting statistics for the numbers of women who
apply for top tier academic positions. I'd be interested in hearing
those again.  It does seem that fewer women do apply than men (even when
the number of PhDs in the field nears a reasonable ratio). I'd also be
interested in knowing what the relative numbers of male/female
interviewees is, and if it is different for different types of jobs
(private vs public universities, liberal arts colleges, industry).

Have a nice day-

Dr. Paula Schlax
Johns Hopkins University Postdoc