perp's in our lab space

Vineeta Pal vp25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 13 20:11:27 EST 1997

Excerpts from netnews.bionet.women-in-bio: 13-Jun-97 Re: perp's in our
lab space by aloisia t schmid at uiuc.ed
>      Anyway, this reason I bring this up, is that one night I caught him
> in the act of down-loading pictures of nude male children, and printing
> them out on the
> departmental printers.  It was two in the morning on a friday night and I
> am sure he didn't expect anyone to be there.  At any rate, I think that is
> a pretty threatening thing too, especially from a man so in to leading a
> double life.  The thing is--- you never really know how people think, or
> how they rationalize what they do, or how they manage to compartmentalize
> portions of their lives.  I am not saying the graduate student's offense
> should be minimized, but my point is that---women need to be aware that
> you just never know.  Even the people you work with who might seem
> terribly above board, could have dark sides, and you just have to be
> self-protective.  And try to minimize risks...maybe by getting people like
> the grad student out, I don't know, but maybe more importantly by being
> alert, and reporting the stuff that is threatening and in general, being
> protective of yourself first and foremost.  Because sometimes, you just
> aren't going to know.
>
>      Interestingly, I never told the authorities about this guy, but I
> told my friends, and the male graduate student response was that you
> should be discreet about this, because it was no big deal, whereas the
> women graduate students  were outraged at the act, at the hypocracy and at
> the male reaction amongst our peers.
>
>       I don't know.  The big question I have to ask is just how seriously
> threatening is this behaviour?

alice, you should definitely report this to the authorities. keeping
quiet about such things only fosters more of this kind of behavior. even
if the authorities act crazy and don't do anything about it, at least
reporting will bring this guy out in the open. other people like him
will then think twice about doing such things.

if there is a disease at large, definitely we should be guarding
ourselves against it. but even then, it will attack some people.
shouldn't we be doing something to fight the disease and bring it under
control as well? just putting ourselves under curfew does not help much
in the long run.

vineeta.