perp's in our lab space

linden higgins linden at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Jun 17 11:23:34 EST 1997

[snip]

>         I'd be interested in hearing what other people think is the "line"?
>What crosses the line?  What is the appropriate response when you feel
>someone IS crossing it?  How much should you just shut about in order to
>not cause trouble?
>

>                                             Alice

I think that the line is what ever makes you seriously uncomfortable.  For
me, it varies:  I am more tolerant of some behaviors when I am overseas
than when I am in the U.S..

What you may find amusing is the following story:  it is possible to make
men uncomfortable, and they do not chuckle but get very upset.  The
situation was the following:  I was recovering from sexual assault, many
years ago  - it was the same summer that whats-her-name was being tried for
...shall we say, seriously reducing her husband's procreative
potential....and the guys in the reproductive biology lab next door had
hung a series of rather offensive articles & cartoons on their hall-way
bullitin board about it.  I found it all quite upsetting, so I started to
post (anonamously) little one-liners like "Rape is forever" or "she might
be your sister, daughter, friend, mother".  They got REALLY upset.  They
didn't know it was me, but they knew it was our lab (we are almost all
women).  They did, however, take down their articles - and I then stopped
posting my one-liners.

Excuse the spelling - it has been one of THOSE mornings.

Linden

Linden Higgins
Department of Zoology
University of Texas