PIs

Trina Roberts troberts at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 16 18:19:04 EST 1997

aloisia t schmid (a-schmi at uiuc.edu) wrote:
> "I personally have never experienced anything untoward in any way.  I
> can't help but believe there is a personality type who invites these
> problems.  Certainly in science there is no sexism.  In academics, I can't
> think of a single man who treats women any differently from men.".....how
> do you respond?

Remind people that it isn't always being treated differently in an
_academic_ sense that matters (at least, not to me).  Maybe they can't
think of a single man who would assume men are better scientists and
problem solvers, but how about all the people of both genders who assume
that they should turn to a man when they need something heavy moved?
Something put together with power tools?  Something tightened really
tight?

I've heard so many "let me help you with that"s while doing things that I
did not need, or want, help with... so many people take a drill or a saw
from me and assume that the job is better if they do it themselves... so
many salesmen in lumberyards and hardware stores who take one
look at me and ignore me in favor of male companions.  It's not
necessarily science-based, but that sort of "treating women differently"
is a more subtle but equally annoying stereotyping, and creates a
separation of the genders in the heads of all those who witness it
regularly.

I've never had anyone in academics treat me differently from my male
counterparts, but then again I'm not even a graduate student...yet...and
at the undergraduate level it is perhaps not as much a problem.

--Trina

--
Trina E. Roberts
troberts at fas.harvard.edu