Crusades for saving Grant Money?

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Wed Jun 18 18:22:29 EST 1997

>But there is some line to be drawn somewhere, isn't there?  Time
>is money too . . .
>
>Karen

I know where I draw the line-I won't put names on the story, but a
friend of mine was picking colonies with toothpicks in a
don't-have-a-real-grant-yet lab when the PI suggested that if she used
them carefully, she could turn the toothpicks over and get 2 uses from 1
pick.  My friend pointed out the price of toothpicks, and that if things
were that bad, she'd get her own toothpicks!

But I have to wonder about some of my wasteful lab mates-if they paid
for this stuff themselves, would they really order the extra expensive
pipet tips and gloves, or would they get by with the generic brands?  My
husband's lab pours plates in glass petri dishes, then autoclaves,
washes, autoclaves and reuses them.  A new postdoc here, however decided
to toss 2 sleeves of plates because they'd been poured a little on the
thin side by a student worker.  Somewhere is a happy medium!
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University