Crusades for saving Grant Money?

taguebw at wfu.edu taguebw at wfu.edu
Thu Jun 19 07:46:59 EST 1997

In article <7388C60663 at bio.tamu.edu>, JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU ("Julia
Frugoli") wrote:

 My
> husband's lab pours plates in glass petri dishes, then autoclaves,
> washes, autoclaves and reuses them.  A new postdoc here, however decided
> to toss 2 sleeves of plates because they'd been poured a little on the
> thin side by a student worker.  Somewhere is a happy medium!
> Julia Frugoli
> Dartmouth College

Wow! Is this cost-effective? I inherited hundreds of glass petri dishes
but couldn't convince myself that a work-study student doing this would
actually be cheaper than buying plastic ones. I've use them for other
purposes -- sterile "surgical stages" for plant tissue culture,
cold-treating seeds, etc. but not for bacterial plates. Maybe I'll rethink
that.

My 2 electrons,
Brian