I'm back... my amazing story

aloisia t schmid a-schmi at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 19 18:32:26 EST 1997

>         Women in bio - this is like the grandest homecoming I have ever
> felt.  I knew that my undergrad. connections would be meaningful to me
> personally and educationally my whole life - but to find myself a PhD,
> future professor - and have these connections mean something so
> professional and scientific - I am totally blown away.  It is an honor to
> feel this welcomed.  And I am SOOOO excited.  I leave Sunday for two weeks
> of basic micro. in the field again.  This is why I love science - this is
> what living science is about to me.  Needless to say, the prospect of
> being an outdoorswoman and having the chance to haul kids into the
> mountains for research on springs in the cascades truly blows my mind.
>
>         So - I am back and, as you can tell, I am back with my usual
> verve......//.......  Because finally I feel affirmed, like someone
> sees my ability and values it.
>
>         I'd love to hear from the gang!  Alas, though, I will be
> incommunicado starting this Sunday.
>
>         Cheers,  the unsinkable Dr. Professor Sarah Boomer

Dear Sarah,

    I personally was so happy to see your posting!  And if you want to
know the truth, it brought actual TEARS to my eyes!  Really!  I am sitting
here crying like a baby!  Because this is the ULTIMATE triumph of the
under-dog!

    I am so happy for you!  I hope you love every second of the new
tenure-track professorship!  I hope Bob and all the others are all they
seem to be, and all they SHOULD be really!

    I've missed having you aboard but am especially thrilled to know in
September you will be back!

                      Congratulations, Sarah!  No one deserves it more!

                           Alice

P.S.  So are you in love again or still going around breaking poor
pathetic hearts?