Saving Grant Money

matkisso at opal.tufts.edu matkisso at opal.tufts.edu
Thu Jun 19 12:54:37 EST 1997

6 (are we up to this?).  don't use sterile single pack pipetts for bench use.

7.  When splitting cultured cells, the original dish can be reused (depending
on cell type, and at >$3 for a T150, it adds up).

8.  Buy the kit components you need (sequenase(tm) is a good example -- if you
run out of enzyme, buy enzyme and not a whole new kit).

9.  Remember that waste disposal is sometimes a direct cost (kit minipreps
are cheaper than non-kit, particularly if you use phenol in your non-kit
protocol, eg).

And about racking tips.  I new of a lab that did it during lab meeting.  While
whoever was presenting talked, the rest of the room stuffed tip racks.

Peg.