sexism in Sweden revisited..

Kimberley Snowden kcsnowden at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jun 19 11:13:00 EST 1997

After reading the sexism in peer review paper in Nature, and reading
comments on this group and talking to other people, I was surprised
how common it was for people to say "well that is Sweden, the US is
much more progressive than that country".  I can understand not
wanting to believe it could be as bad, but it seems a bit like an
ostrich type of approach.
Anyway, last night as I was reading a time magazine, I came across an
interesting statistic.  It seems that the US has 11.7%  women in it's
parliament, while Sweden has 40.4% women.  I realise politics are a
bit different to science (though sometimes it doesn't feel that way!)
but it shows that things are obviously not as ideal in this country as
some would like to think.
Comments anyone?

Kim