I need definitions - please!

Patricia S. Bowne pbowne at omnifest.uwm.edu
Thu Jun 19 11:49:11 EST 1997

I'm doing a study on logical positivism for a class I'll
be teaching this fall, and one of the areas I want to talk
about with my students is scientists' perceptions
of logical positivism. Though a scientist myself, I only
found out about logical positivism by reading critiques
of science. I'd  like to know the extent to which scientists
are trained in it, or even recognize it.

I'd truly appreciate it if anyone who has the time would e-mail
me the answers to these questions:

What do you think logical positivism is?

Where did you get that definition and
when (roughly -- because of course people who were
studying during its heyday would have heard of it)?

Are you a practicing scientist?

If your answer to the above is 'Huh? What? Never heard of
it!' *please* let me know -- because I'm wondering, basically,
if current scientists *have* heard of it.

Many thanks.

Pat Bowne
pbowne at omnifest.uwm.edu