I'm back... my amazing story

Susan Hogarth sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 20 12:08:28 EST 1997

S. Boomer wrote:

>         Here's my story... which is relevant, I'm sure, to many topics
> relating to women, careers, science.

Woo-woo!!! Congrats and all that - *great* story (and I *so* liked the
ending! :)

One *teensy* point, though...

>         Well - problem one.  My partner of five years left a month after
> my defense.

Blech. This happened to me after my undergrad. I can tell you it really
poisoned my master's work (esp. since he was in the same dept...). I
sympathise (or is that emapthise?...)

> ...So... point number one: women, don't ever count on the couples thing,
> don't ever get yourself to a point of being dependent on a man like I felt
> I was.

Eeeps!! I somehow feel you've learned the wrong lesson here! Marriage
*can* be true support, and is *meant* to be. If it goes wrong, it's
because it has _gone wrong_, not because it's a Bad Idea (IMO, at
least). Perhaps you're speaking of a one-way dependency, and not a real
marriage, though... in which case I guess I agree.

Glad it's all going so well now - you deserve it!
--
Susan

"Cow envy is more common than you would think." - doghair