Crusades for saving Grant Money?

Amanda Kesner kesner at aecom.yu.edu
Thu Jun 19 20:13:13 EST 1997

In my lab (currently without a grant), we definitely make nearly all of
our own reagents.  (I can't tell you how much time I spend doing that
instead of research, but it sure seems like an awful lot.)  As for waste
disposal, the only novel concept I've learned is that glass will become
more compact when it's actually broken:  Once our sharps containers become
full, we close them (temporarily) and bang them with a hammer.  When we
open them back up, the volume of sharps left is usually <50% of the
original volume (depending, of course, on how many times you do this with
a single container).

As for the remelting of used agarose, can you still do this if there's
ethidium bromide in there?  It seems kind of dangerous to me, but it's
certainly something new.  My boss would like that I've learned a new
cost-saving technique!

Amanda