spouses & mobility

Debra M. McDonough donough at UCSUB.COLORADO.EDU
Mon Jun 23 13:43:35 EST 1997

Sure, women have had kids as late as 40.  Or 45.  And incidence of birth
defects goes up with age.  And incidence of infertility goes up with age.
While one should certainly wait to have kids when/if they are ready,
anyone who is actively choosing to wait until their career is established
should be aware of and accepting of the real, biological risks which
accompany that decision.  It hardly seems fair for "the establishment" to
expect that of us.  Which reminds me of the advice I got from an
extablished female prof when I asked her what academic women can do about
family/career conflicts.  She suggested that I should have had my kids in
high school so that they would be in school themselves when I was ready
for grad school. . .  I've chosen to have them in grad school.  We'll see
where that gets me!

deb