Looking for advice on bio career

Michael Zalar mikz at primenet.com
Mon Jun 23 17:39:01 EST 1997

In article <5n40hp$lud at usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,
   hmbst7 at vms.cis.pitt.edu wrote:
>Hi. My mane is Heather Brockway.  I was advised to post here by a friend from
>scr.research.  I'm a recent graduate from the University of Pittsburgh with a
>BS in Biological Sciences.  I'm looking for advice on what to do now. I'm
>considering grad school, I'm not sure I want to make that kind of committment
>right now.  I extremely interested in genetics and/or botany. I would like to
>try research to see if that path might be good for me.  Unfortunately,
>the only lab experience I have is the course work I have done. I have been
>told that being unskilled isn't uncommon.  I'm looking specifically for
>advice on how to "break" into a research career. I have applied for several
>positions within the University but it seems that I can't get in. Does anyone
>have any suggestions.  Any advice will be sincerely appreciated!! Thanks in
>advance!!!
>Heather

	Have you checked the government postings? In my state they are
continually hiring college laboratory assistants to work in the community
colleges.
	I had the same problem when I got my 4-year degree. Ended up doing
clerical, but am now arranging to go to grad school (only 9 yrs later. how
time flies). I have ambitions toward forensic science and/or toxicology.
	BTW: there is a newsgroup about government jobs in science, have you
checked there? They post many jobs in the US. Might entail moving, depending
on the type of job.
		Good luck,
			Sally D.