scientific meetings with infant

crispy creme klporter at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 22 19:46:38 EST 1997

In article <01IKAP5LNIXE94DPDY at med-genepi.bu.edu>,
DESTEFANO at MED-GENEPI.BU.EDU wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to travel in the fall to a scientific meeting with my
> three month old infant.  My mom has agreed to come with me and
> watch the baby while I am attending meetings and (hopefully)
> presenting my own work.  I would appreciate any advice from people
> who have done similar trips.  Anything I can do or plan in advance to
> get the most out of the meeting and make it easiest on all of us?  What
> do you think about evenings?  Is it appropriate to go to dinner with other
> researchers and invite mom and baby along (provided baby is having a well
> behaved night) or should I forgo this type of interaction unless I leave
> mom and baby behind or am meeting people I know very well (e.g. colleagues
> from my own institution).
>
> Anita
>
> p.s. congratulations Sarah!

leave the baby home with your mom. a baby will be distracting to you and
to those around you. have you considered how uncomfortable the baby will
be travelling (especially by air) and being in unfamiliar surroundings and
around strange people, and their germs??  also, there probably will not be
very much science talk with a baby present and you will not be able to
take full advantage of interaction with colleagues.