scientific meetings with infant

Lee Anne Tibbles tibbles at oci.utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 23 09:45:46 EST 1997

In article <klporter-2206972046380001 at ip192.raleigh2.nc.pub-ip.psi.net>,
klporter at earthlink.net (crispy creme) writes:

> leave the baby home with your mom. a baby will be distracting to you
> and to those around you. have you considered how uncomfortable the
> baby will be travelling (especially by air) and being in
> unfamiliar surroundings and around strange people, and their germs??
> also, there probably will not be very much science talk with a
> baby present and you will not be able to take full advantage
> of interaction with colleagues.

This is more difficult if you are breastfeeding!!!
I took my daughter to a meeting when she was 6 weeks old, and although there
are a few scheduling problems, it's not a major issue. Bring lots of breast
pads, it is embarrassing to be leaking all over when you are presenting your
work.
By the way-- don't try to go to a FASEB summer conference--they specifically
BAN children under 12 from even staying in the conference housing, and they
are disinvited to enter the dining hall (they interrupt the "intimate"
scientific atmosphere!)

Lee Anne Tibbles, M.D., F.R.C.P.(C).
Ontario Cancer Institute
610 University Ave., Rm. 9-621